Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, March 24, 2016

If You See My Dental Hygienist, Please, Tell Her She is Beautiful


I knew something was different the instant I saw my dental hygienist yesterday.  Her color seemed off—maybe a bit pale.  She was wearing a cable knit wool hat when she came to get me from the waiting room.  Maybe she is feeling under the weather, I thought.
My hygienist is a talker.  She tends to fill my mouth with tools and tubes and then prattles on, interjecting questions occasionally.  I usually lie back in the chair and allow my eyes to explore the ceiling, hoping the questions do not involve math or long, half-mouthed answers about what I am doing for work these days.
Yesterday, she took x-ray images of my teeth and then went to work on my regularly scheduled cleaning.  After cleaning for only a minute or so, she announced: “I am overheating with this hat on.”
The instant she removed the hat, I understood.  She was bald.  All of her blondish hair was gone.
“I just finished a fight with cancer,” she announced.  “I am cancer free now.  I am feeling much better.”
“What kind of cancer,” I asked. 
“Breast,” she said.
She stopped working on my teeth.  We talked.  Normally, I am annoyed when this happens; I want to get finished and go on with my day.  Not so, yesterday.  We talked about our families.  We talked about dogs.  We talked about Montana.  We talked about cancer.  I looked into her eyes and thought of all those loved ones I have lost to cancer, including my wife.
Eventually, the hygienist finished with my teeth.  “I hope you are feeling one-hundred percent when I see you in six months,” I told her as I rose from the chair. 
“See you then,” she replied, smiling broadly.
Only after I walked out the door did I feel a pang of regret.  I should have lightly grasped her hand and told her that she is still beautiful.  I should have told her how happy I am that she is still with us.  I should have remembered her name.

--Mitchell Hegman

3 comments:

  1. Very touching story! Every fight won against cancer matters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I and everyone we know has seen seen the ravages of cancer. Such an ugly disease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one who has cancer is not the only victim. Care takers, family members are scarred forever!

    ReplyDelete