Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, July 29, 2018

Birdsong Elk

Yesterday, on an early morning drive to my cabin, I saw the largest herd of elk I have ever seen.  I would estimate the herd numbered over two hundred animals.  After glimpsing the elk in a meadow as I drove along the highway, I pulled my truck over and then threaded my way though some thick brush on foot for a closer look.
I managed to sneak to within something just a bit over a stone throw from the elk and stood there in a thicket of stick willow watching and listening.
That’s the thing: listening.
Elk cows and calves chirp, whistle, and mew—sounding birds more than anything.  The meadow was filled with birdsong as I watched. 
I stood there for several minutes, taking in the sights and sounds.
Before I left the elk herd, I managed the photographs posted below.  I have also posted a YouTube video featuring elk chirping and singing.

--Mitchell Hegman
Video Link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NKeP2118fM

No comments:

Post a Comment