Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Early Riser


I woke a little after four this morning to wind jostling blinds at my open windows.
Wind has a presence.  That presence came through the open windows and stood there beside my bed, nudging at my bare shoulder.
Unable to fall back to sleep, I slipped into my robe and wobbled outside to stand on my back deck. 
Stars yet glimmered above me.  But all along mountainous horizon to the north and east, first light had scrubbed clean the stars and left behind an empty gray slate.
Half of the Big Dipper was gone.
It is said that one day the Sun will grow huge.  On that day, the Earth will open like a book and light will scour it clean of all that is not essential. 
Early risers will be first to go.
--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment