Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, September 10, 2018

The Message inside the Wall


I have previously written about my long-held habit of writing notes inside walls or dropping such items as photographs, recent magazines, newspapers, or even a trinket or two inside a wall before the drywall is applied.  My house and cabin walls are veritable depositories.  Just two weeks ago, I stuffed a newspaper inside a wall at my cabin before I closed it in.

Yesterday, I received a text and two photographs from a friend.
A little background.  My friend’s son (now an adult) called me “Muutch” when he was a small boy.  Back in the early 1990s, I helped my friend when he remodeled his house.
Here is the text I received:
Hey Muutch- so I'm remodeling the kitchen at home (AGAIN) and as I exposed the back side of this wall and looked at the wiring- I thought - I must have asked Mitch to wire this-(as it was so perfectly straight and square) but I thought, I'm not sure he did. I first saw the note - "backing" see other side- I opened up the other side only to read " FRONTING" (see other side) only then was I convinced!!! I now remember my good buddy pointing out to me it's called "fronting" on the side that flushes to the face of the studs, and "backing" on the backside (obviously)!!!! It's been a fun morning now- thinking back on the good old days! Hope you're doing well - and "BAAAIIISICLY " retired!!   Hi to Blondie-
Here are the Photographs:


--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment