Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, July 26, 2019

The Paleo Diet


For those of you unfamiliar, the Paleo diet is a food plan where you eat only the types of foods eaten by humans during the Paleolithic era (from 2.5 million to 10,000 years ago).  The diet consists mostly of foods attained by hunting and gathering.  Food intake is largely limited to lean meat, fish, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds.
Foods to be avoided are those that emerged when humans learned to successfully farm.  Given such, the intake of dairy products, legumes (beans and lintels) and grains (pasta and bread) are either limited or avoided.  Processed foods and sugar are also avoided.
Maintaining weight is a primary goal of this diet.  Following the guidelines will also reduce the ingestion of chemicals, preservatives, and additives.    
The Paleo diet is sometimes called the Stone Age diet or the caveman diet.  The very first time I heard of this diet, someone referred to it as the “caveman” diet.  Not yet knowing any details about the diet, I immediately envisioned myself running around with a club chasing bunny rabbits to bludgeon for dinner.
No, to that.
As it turns out, my diet largely follows Paleo guidelines.  I have no problem avoiding sugar and most processed foods.  Avoiding pasta and cheese is a bit more problematic.
I am thinking I might have descend from a more sophisticated farmer-type caveman.  So those are the guidelines I am following.
—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment