Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, July 13, 2019

Woodland Strawberries


Evening last, I walked a distance into the sun-setting woods from my cabin and, choosing a random log, sat.  What, I wondered, would I find most interesting if I sat there as all the shadows gathered together in one darkness?
I found two mosquitoes first.   Then, a half-sized chipmunk dancing on the bough of a fir above me.  A half-dozen arrowhead blue butterflies stitched past.  Fading arnica flowers.  Sticky geranium purpling against the shadows at the beginning of their bloom.  A curtain of kinnikinnick draped across the punky remains of a long fallen branch.  A beetle clunking across the understory.   Floppy pine grass just standing there being, well, floppy.  Nameless birds chirping and peeping.  
But most interesting?
I found a sprawling patch of woodland strawberries right at my feet.  A mat of them, in fact.  A tangle of red creepers and triple-leaf clusters.
A closer inspection revealed several ripe berries. 
These will not soon be a cash crop.  They are not the hulking cousins you find at your nearest grocery.  The woodland strawberry is quite small.  Generally, smaller than a pea.
I ate one.
Super sweet.  I do not like “store-bought “strawberries.  I never purchase them and only rarely eat them.  But the woodland strawberry is delicious.  Wondrous, in fact!
The woodland strawberry has a fairly wide distribution—extending from Alaska to California.  Not only is the fruit sweet and edible, but the entire plant boasts medicinal properties.
The strawberry plant is antiseptic.  The Okanagan-Colville Indians used powders made from the leaf as a disinfectant on open wounds.   Agents within the plant will cause tissue to contract.  The woodland strawberry plant can be used in the treatment of toothaches and gum problems.  The plant has been used to regulate menstrual cycles.  Powders made from the plant have been used as a poultice for open wounds.  Teas made from the strawberry plant induce urination.
Hooray for the woodland strawberry!
Posted is a photo of one of the berries I found.

—Mitchell Hegman
Sources: http://montana.plant-life.org,  http://fieldguide.mt.gov

No comments:

Post a Comment