Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Four Miles


Early in the morning, I walked four miles alone through the broken hills near my house.  Through tall sagebrush and juniper I went.   Across shale arroyos.  Across ancient river-wash stones and prickly pear cactus.  Through bluestem grasses.  Under a blanket of sky-crawling clouds.
Two hours of just me.
Along the way, I learned two things.
One: Throwing sticks remains satisfying in middle age.
Two: Red-winged blackbirds will yell and bluster at you if you enter their space.
—Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. So do magpies. I get yelled at every morning in the summer when I deliberately park in what I call the South 40 lots so I can get some steps in and prepare for my day and decompress at the end. The ones in my part of the world also fling pinecones. Rude. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magpies and ravens are noisy just for the sake of being noisy. I have also watched them pestering my cat and the local deer. They are so human! Haha.

    ReplyDelete