Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, July 3, 2020

360 Miles

Yesterday, I drove 360 miles across the state of Montana. 

I could not have asked for a better day.  Temperatures remained comfortable throughout.  I drove through striking, ever-changing landscapes from beginning to end.  I started out amid handsome rimrocks and escarpments and finished my drive bounded by mountains.

At a rest area near Custer, I hiked up a well-maintained trail to the top of a hill and captured a few images with my smarter-than-me-phone.  The trail and rest area struck me as incredibly clean and orderly—enough so to be beautiful.   As good fortune would have it, the man who maintains the rest area happened to be picking up a few bits of plastic from the parking lot as I approached my car after my hike.

“Are you the one who always maintains this?” I asked.

“Yes, sir.”

“I want to thank you.  You are doing a tremendous job.  This is…beautiful.  Your work stands out.”

“Thank you.”

I gauged the man somewhere in his mid-thirties and Native American.  We talked for a while.  Small Talk.  The man was soft-spoken and unpretentious.  Before we parted, I thanked him one more time.

The state of Montana is lucky to have him.

I drove on.

The landscape around me kicked up into loftier stone and earth formations as I drove westward.  Soon enough, I found myself alongside blue and white mountains and then I drove directly into them.

There, in the mountains, my home.


Near Colstrip


Man (Under a Hat)


Rest Area Picnic Table


Crazy Mountains


Wood Rose

Mitchell Hegman


No comments:

Post a Comment