Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, July 27, 2020

Wild Strawberries

The large strawberries you purchase from the local grocery had much smaller beginnings than you may imagine.   The fruit you purchase is the hybridized version of Fragaria virginiana, more commonly known as wild strawberry. 

Wild strawberries grow from coast to coast in the United States—preferring well-drained soils and full sun to partial shade.  Wild strawberries plants thrive in great abundance around my cabin.   While the leaves and runner vines are easy to spot, the tiny fruit is often well hidden under the leaves.  When you find ripe wild strawberries, you will discover the berries to be a fraction of a fraction of the size you find in the produce section of stores.

I poked around near the side door of my cabin and managed to harvest a small handful of the wee fruit.  Though small, they are flavorful and sweet when fully ripened.

I have posted a couple photographs I captured with my smarter-than-me-phone.



Mitchell Hegman

Sources:  https://www.lakeforest.edu, https://www.gardeningknowhow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment