Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Mountain Colors

Today I am posting photographs of flowers I captured yesterday while at my cabin.

Showy fleabane is described at gardenia.net as “vigorous” and “upright.”   I find these descriptors perfect for this joyful flower.  The flowers are about the size of a quarter and often grow in tight clusters.  Most impressively, showy fleabane is a perennial that blooms throughout the summer and on into the fall.  The name of this flower reflects the belief that that dried fleabane plants repelled fleas.


Showy Fleabane









Agoseris, commonly known as orange mountain dandelion, is a perennial from the sunflower family.  A Forest Service website describes Agoseris as “cheerful.”  I find this flower all of that.  Agoseris is not terribly common near my cabin, but I do find them as I walk through the understory.  The plant tends to hold its blossom high above the surrounding grasses and forbs—calling my attention with the zeal of an orange beacon.


Agoseris (Orange Mountain Dandelion)

Mitchell Hegman


No comments:

Post a Comment