Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, July 30, 2020

Purple-Globe Clover and Woodland Pinedrops

On a recent drive through the mountains, I ran across a lovely but common purple-globe clover.  While, normally, clover tends to grow in patches or dense clusters, I saw but a single globe standing bright and tall against the otherwise green understory.

A show-stopper, if you will.

The clover blossom was optimistic enough, I captured an image and have shared that here today.

I also chanced upon three woodland pinedrops stalks emerging asparagus-style in the pine forest.  The shoots stood about a foot tall and were nearly an inch in diameter at the base.

According to a U.S. Forest Service webpage:Pinedrops is a member of the Indian-pipe family (Monotropaceae). Pinedrops is a root parasite, depending on its association with a mycorrhizal fungus that is also associated with a pine tree. Pinedrops produces very little chlorophyll and is therefore not green in color and does not conduct photosynthesis.”

I have posted photos of the emerging pinedrops.  I have also posted a photograph of a more mature pinedrops from a series I captured in 2007.  At full maturity, pinedrops are easily capable of reaching three feet in height.


Purple-Globe Clover


Pinedrops 

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment