Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, August 20, 2020

A Good Reason Not to Visit Australia

I have always wanted to visit Australia.  Australia is the one country I want to visit primarily because of the people.  I really want to be surrounded by Australians.  I suppose I have a romanticized, Crocodile Dundee version of Australia and Australians in mind.  But they seem fun-loving and kind and I get a kick out of their accent.

The other day, however, I came across a pretty good reason (in the form of a video) not to go to Australia.

The reason: huntsman spiders.

Huntsman spiders are noted for being fast and aggressive.  Some species are also incredibly large.  Huntsman spiders in Australia may reach a five-inch leg span.  They are capable of hunting down mice, birds, and lizards.

Tough they are not really considered a danger to humans and are said to be reluctant to bite humans, they are still too big and creepy for me to share spaces with.

The largest species of huntsman spider (the giant huntsman) is found in Laos.  Giant huntsman spiders live in caves and are considered the largest spiders (by leg span) in the world.  They can reach a leg span of twelve inches. 

Posted is the video I saw the other day.  The video features a huntsman spider trying to make off with a mouse.

Mitchell Hegman

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRQucp31n0c 

No comments:

Post a Comment