Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, August 21, 2020

New Car

The other day, while driving my new car along in cruise control, I got to thinking about the first car I owned in high school: A Ford Mustang. 

The heater didn’t work very well in the Mustang and the windows fogged-up and frosted on the inside throughout the winter.   No air conditioning.  Crank windows.  I had to shift the manual transmission by reaching through the floor and pulling and pushing on linkage rods on the transmission because the shifter had broken.  I kept rain and snow from spraying up from the road by placing my 8-track tape case over the hole in the floor.  The rear-wheel drive found me stuck in snow often.

My new car will make phone calls, if I ask.  My iPod plays automatically on shuffle.  I can set the passenger side for one temperature and my side for another.  Sun roof.  Heated and cooled seats.  Driver alerts.  All-wheel drive.  Electric windows.   

 I think fondly of my old Mustang, but only for short periods of time.

Mitchell Hegman 

No comments:

Post a Comment