Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Safety Third (Again)

 I did not always employ safe practices when doing carpentry or electrical work.  Consequently, I earned my share of injuries.

Once, after an arc-flash incident (read electrical explosion here), I had to purchase a new pair of glasses because my prescription glasses—rather than safety glasses—were my only line of protection.  The incident left the lenses of my glasses pitted and flecked (as was my face) with flecks of copper ejected from the arc explosion.   My hearing is slightly impaired from years of not using ear plugs.  I have countless stories of slivers, foreign objects in my eye, and minor injuries.

But I learned my lessons.

Today I work at protecting myself.  Me.  Myself.  I am all about “safety third.”

I will allow a certain Mr. Mike Rowe to explain the concept of safety third in a video at the end of this blog.  I have posted this video previously.

Posted before the video is a photograph of the metal I am presently installing in my cabin and a photograph of the personal protective equipment (PPE) I wear when cutting metal trim pieces with a miter saw.

This is my PPE:

Eye protection

Hearing protection

Gloves (unseen)

Not pretty, but effective.



Mitchell Hegman

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1lcVo1Zshk&t=14s

2 comments:

  1. I had a metal shop teacher in jr high that LIVED to tell us horror stories about shop mishaps. The two most memorable that still stick in my head were "What happened when someone dropped a ceramic crucible full of molten aluminum" and "The time the grinder wheel exploded." Honestly, the guy was a complete dick but I must have learned something because I've never yet dropped a crucible or had a grinder wheel explosion. This is also because I stay the hell out of metal shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all of us had a similar version of that shop teacher. Chainsaw accidents are what I most dread.

      Delete