Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, January 6, 2021

The Rock Tumbler

If you’re a rockhound, rocks are important.  I mean the collectable kind: agates, petrified wood, crystals, and so forth.  Hounds are constantly scanning the ground, hoping to find a pretty rock.  Many rockhounds also invest in a rock tumbler so they can polish some of the rocks they collect.

I have two tumblers.

My friend Kevin and I have turned his son, Tad, into a rockhound.  Tad is all in, these days.  He recently purchased a tumbler.  Given the colder weather, he wanted to run the tumbler indoors.   As you might imagine, rock tumblers make a bit of noise.  And they need to run for days on end.

Tad opted to put the tumbler in a bathroom in his house.  He called me because the bathroom does not have an outlet into which he can plug the tumbler’s power cord.  “Can we tie an outlet to the fan in the bathroom? He asked.  “All I have is the fan and the light.”

“Well,” I said, “pretty much anything is possible.”   We talked a little more about what adding a receptacle might entail.  “You know,” I said after a bit, “most overhead fans have a receptacle built-in.  The fan motor plugs into it.  They are only a two-wire jobber, but I am guessing your tumbler is the same.  We might make that work for now.”

“Yeah?” Tad said, “I’ll take a look.”

Posted here is a video Tad provided me following our conversation.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment