Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, January 14, 2021

Walking Against the Wind

Yesterday afternoon, I did a foolish thing.  I tried to walk.  With temperatures reaching into the 50s, I felt somewhat obligated to go outside and walk along my country road.

Normally, walking is a cinch.  Yesterday, however, our region experienced something near constant winds of 35 to 45 mph with frequent gusts reaching much higher speeds.  According to a local news report, Helena recorded gusts of 81 mph.  Trees toppled over.  Roofs were peeled off houses.

I began my walk pressing against the wind, thinking the force might help push me back home once I turned.  Apparently, I must have exited my house during winds in the 35 to 45 mph range.  “I can handle this,” I thought.  “Not so bad.”

About thirty paces from my house, I stopped walking.

I didn’t try to stop.  Instead, a tremendous gust virtually froze me solid at mid-stride.  I had to expend all of my strength and balance to keep from tipping over backwards.

I can take a hint.

I know when it’s time to abandon idea number one, head back to the house, and pour a wee dram of Scotch.  

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment