Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, January 23, 2021

Rock Saw

I recently shared a post about Tad St Clair and his rock tumbler.  Today, I happily report on the next level of rockhounding.

Yesterday, Tad and I split the cost on the purchase of a saw for cutting rocks.  Tad picked up the saw yesterday.  By late afternoon, after a little assembly, we found ourselves cutting into rocks.

The first stone Tad cut was a conglomerate specimen I found near my house.  Conglomerate is a type of sedimentary stone comprised of smaller rounded rocks cemented into the same larger stone by calcite or quartz.  This type of stone is formed where stones, tumbled by running water or waves, are swept into layers along with sand clay.   

The conglomerate cut easily and proved striking once sliced.



    Uncut Conglomerate



Cut Conglomerate


Tad, Terry, and the Saw

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment