Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, September 20, 2021

A Good Beating

Turns out, smartphones are not as smart as I thought they were.  Sometimes, to get an app to work, you need to give the phone a good old-fashioned beating.

While video-chatting with Desiree, I dropped my phone.  Dropping my phone is not unusual.  I would estimate I either drop or knock my phone to the floor a half dozen times a month.

Anyhoo…when I picked up my phone again after it smacked face down on the floor, the front (selfie) camera was wildly out of focus.  To fix the focus issue, I surfed through an array of smartphone settings and poked at all kinds of stuff.

I found nothing to fix the problem.

Frustrated, I fired up my Google machine to seek possible solutions.  When I clicked on the first link with answers and began reading, I was immediately skeptical.  The first solution suggested I turn the phone away from me with the camera on and tap on the back of it.  The second was to pick up the smartphone and shake it.   

Doubtful or not.  I brought the front camera to life, turned the phone away from me, and tapped briskly at the back with the end of my TV remote.

I’ll be damned if that didn’t work.  The camera came into perfect focus.  Finally, after all my years of trying, I found something I can fix by beating on it.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment