Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, September 19, 2021

Chipmunk Sex

The other day, as I stood at my kitchen window looking out to evaluate the day, two chipmunks zipped into place on a brick ledge just outside.  The chipmunks circled each other for two seconds and then copulated with lightning speed before rocketing away in opposite directions.

Jeez, I thought to myself, I have never seen chipmunks diddling before.  As I thought about it, I had to admit, I never really bothered to consider chipmunks as either male or female.  They have always been, well, chipmunks.  And I call all of them “Chip” when I greet to them.

A quick tour through my Google machine gave me answers.  Male chipmunks are bucks and the females are does.

Chipmunks will eat almost anything and they mostly hibernate through winters, though they may emerge from time to time.  They are very much solitary creatures, but twice a year, in the spring and in late summer, males and females will get together briefly to mate.



Chipmunk

Mitchell Hegman

Photo: Phil Armitage

No comments:

Post a Comment