Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, September 18, 2021

Unfinished

I constructed my house thirty years ago.  I started framing walls in April of the year and by early November I was nailing all the finishing trim into place.

When I first started trimming around the windows and doors, I enlisted the help of one of my carpenter friends for a day.

While working with me, he made an observation that sticks with me to this day.  “I am happy to see you are getting everything done before moving in,” he told me.  “I have watched a lot of people build their own houses.  I have noticed that if they move in before getting everything done, whatever was unfinished remains unfinished after they move in.  They never get to it.”

Funny thing about that—I finished everything in my house save the trim around one set of bifold closet doors at the entry from my garage.  I vowed to buck the trend noted by my friend and finish the closet after we moved in.

Thirty years later, the closet remains unfinished.



Untrimmed Closet



Fully Trimmed Closet

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment