Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, November 16, 2023

Tintinnabulation

Fortunately, I have never used the word “tintinnabulation” in conversation in my entire life. I don’t recall ever using this word in anything I have written, either. I do recall reading the word in a novel and having to stop so I could look up the meaning in an old-timey unabridged dictionary – you know, the big book teachers made bratty kids hold over their heads when they disrupted class.

In the event you are unfamiliar with “tintinnabulation,” it is a noun representing a ringing or tinkling sound. This is not a word that exactly rolls off the tongue and actually strikes me as something that might have been invented by a committee of drunken metallurgists.

Frankly, I think the word “tinkling” is just fine and doesn’t need any help from tintinnabulation. And tinkling also has the added benefit of providing the following double entendre: “I tinkled when I went outside.” Anyhow, tintinnabulation popped into my head while I was, of all things, chopping onions and more or less crying. And now I am thinking we can run with the word tinkling from here and throw tintinnabulation out with the onion skins.

—Mitchell Hegman

4 comments:

  1. Onion skins can color Easter eggs!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edgar Allen Poe invented tintinnabulation in his poem “The Bells”. In England and in some places in the US still there is a quaint custom of bell ringing. This requires a bell tower with at least four bells or a group of people using hang bells. People pull the bells in the towers in a mathematical rotation leaving one bell out the rotation each round. Poe likely belonged to such a group when living in Baltimore.

    I you read the poem out loud, after all it is a sound poem, you will likely never get the word tintinnabulation out of your vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete