Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, November 23, 2023

Gizzard

 I like to say “gizzard.” It’s a word I could have invented as a kid. For one thing, it has two Zs, which is exceptional. I also appreciate the way the syllables work on your tongue. “Gizzard” very nearly sounds like a curse.

Anyhow, I got to say the word to Desiree while talking about cooking her first-ever turkey. “Desiree,” I said, "I am going to help you avoid a rookie mistake. You need to take the giblets out from inside the turkey – you know, the gizzard and neck and stuff. A lot of people don’t know they are inside and leave them there when they cook the bird. It’s kinda funny.”

Desiree thought for a moment and then asked, “Why do they give them to you with the turkey? They don’t always with chickens.”

“Beats me. Maybe just to confuse us. But I like a gizzard now and then.”

There. I got to say “gizzard” twice.

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment