Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, November 6, 2023

A Sophisticated Rock Cleaner

In a dream, I found myself touring a construction site. A large commercial building was rising up from a plot of ground flayed open so pipes and wiring could be extended to and from the structure. I soon engaged in conversation with the owner of one of the contracting firms involved in earthwork for the project. "I'm struggling a little," the man admitted. "I’m down by one person on my crew. I need to hire a new sophisticated rock cleaner."

I had never heard of that job, and I asked, "What's a sophisticated rock cleaner?" Frankly, that sounded like the sort of job that might call me out from retirement.

Before the contractor could answer me, I suddenly flashed awake in my bed. I lay there for a considerable time, feeling somewhat cheated by another dream and wishing I knew what in the hell a sophisticated rock cleaner did for a living.

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment