Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, November 25, 2023

Time Remaining: 1:15

I have an old-timey electric range in my kitchen. It's thirty-two years old and equipped with the most rudimentary electronics. The clock/timer will display only one function (either clock or timer) at a time and is controlled by two buttons and a small dial. Simple.

Yesterday, I decided to stop baking and pull a small batch of tater tots from the oven with the timer still showing 1:15 (one minute and fifteen seconds). I quickly pressed the timer cancel button, which issued a beep, but 1:15 remained on the digital display.

I pressed to cancel again. A tone issued once more, but the display continued to show 1:15.

I pressed the button again with the same result. And again. And again.

Just about when I was about to lapse into a full-on conniption fit, my eye caught the time on the nearby microwave: 1:15.

My Old-Timey Range

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment