Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, August 23, 2024

Pest Control

The mice are sleeping soundly now that I have unearthed the voles from our flower garden and sent them packing. The last vole I released scuttled off in the exact opposite direction I expected, but voles will confound you at every turn.

I have also captured and carted away for distant release five flower-and-berry-eating chipmunks. The last of those ate a blueberry I offered before I set it free in a juniper and bull pine thicket. "You’re luckier than you expect," I called after the chipmunk. "Read Sylvia Plath’s The Blue Moles sometime, and you’ll see what I mean…"

It’s not that I like the mice, but they have me by sheer numbers. I lack the energy to capture and move all of them. The voles I captured by day, the chipmunks in the early morning and late evenings.

The mice swarm through the night, and I set no trap.

I’ve lost all interest in killing things. I killed with glee when I was younger but found it less and less satisfying as I went on. Today, I capture and release every manner of creepy-crawly thing, and I often wonder how I ended up landing here on a planet where most living things, to survive, must kill and eat something smaller or less hapless.

A Vole in the Live Trap

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment