Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, August 8, 2024

The Stunted Forest and the Walking Stick

Desiree and I do a fair amount of walking amid downfall and steep inclines while at the cabin. I like to use a walking stick when doing so. Several years ago, I chanced upon the perfect natural walking stick at the edge of our cabin property. The stick is lightweight, straight, and incredibly rigid and strong.

The stick is not a branch; rather, it is the entire length of a mature but greatly stunted lodgepole pine. In optimal conditions, lodgepole pines can grow to a height of 75 feet. Typically, such trees will reach a height of 6 feet in 10 or 11 years. But in cases where clusters of seeds germinate together, creating a tightly packed cluster of trees, the trees suffer from sharing limited resources and will remain stunted. I counted the growth rings of my stick as best I could and derived an age of something over 40 years. Most lodgepole pines will reach 30 to 50 feet in height at this age. I estimate my stick was something near 6 feet in height when it died.

I gifted the walking stick to Desiree. On my next trip to the cabin, I intend to scour the small section of stunted forest to find another for myself.

Growth Rings

The Walking Stick

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment