Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, August 12, 2024

Weather Events

On Saturday, following an extended dry spell, heavy precipitation fell at various places in our region of Montana. I left my house for the cabin just as the rain started, but after driving only a couple of miles, I drove out of the rainfall. A half-hour after leaving the house, while climbing Flesher Pass, Desiree said, “Is that snow?” She pointed just off the highway.

“Kinda looks like it,” I remarked. Rounding the next curve, we encountered huge swaths of white. “That’s hail,” I said. Soon, the entire expanse around us was covered with about 2 inches of white hailstones. You could also see where running water had swept debris across the highway. Desiree snapped photographs as I drove on. The hail tapered off and vanished as we neared the top of the pass.

Driving home on Sunday, I saw signs of heavy rain on our country road as we neared our house. Running water had cut channels across some sections of the hardpack gravel surface. The ground was wet. Once we reached home, I checked my rain gauge. Much to my surprise, I found 2½ inches had accumulated. A chat with my neighbor, Kevin, confirmed that intense rain fell for about two hours after I left the house on Saturday. That’s impressive when you consider that we typically average only 1.2 inches of rain for the entire month of August.

Hail on Flesher Pass

Rain in My Gauge

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment