Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Blue Flax


Spring is almost near enough that I can throw a rock and strike it.  As revealed by the journals I have constantly maintained since moving out to the country 24 years ago, I should expect to see my first returning bluebird either this week or next week.  Today, following a couple weeks of fairly cold temperatures, we are anticipating something near 50 degrees.

This afternoon, I intend to disperse handfuls of blue flax seeds all around my solar array.  I am hoping that the seeds (and eventually the plants) will take hold in the soil I disturbed during construction.  Blue flax is a tough competitor.  Flax will happily grow in poor soil and blossom long into the hot, dry summer.  One of my flower books noted that the cultivated species of flax have very tough stems that can be made into ropes, cords, fishing lines, and nets.

I am all about the pretty flowers.

Posted is a photograph I captured a few years ago of blue flax high in the mountains.
     --Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. I like that sturdy friendly flax plant and your photo even better. I wonder if flax is related to hemp. Thanks for the info and the eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure on the relationship. And you can thank the flax for looking pretty!

    ReplyDelete