Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, October 26, 2019

Meeting Clay in Manila


“Hey, kid!   Hey, kid!  Hey, you up there!  Can you give me a hand?”
I was a bit out of my element when I heard this.  I was a third-grader who just transferred from the Catholic school on one end of East Helena, Montana, to the public school on the “other side of the creek.”
I didn’t know many kids in the public school.  And I didn’t know the kid yelling up at me from his house down in a kind of hole below the street I was walking on while heading home after a day of school.  The kid below me was a fourth-grader.  I knew that much.
“I need a hand down here,” the kid yelled up at me.
I went down to help the kid open the door to his house.  His name was Clay Whitaker.
We became friends from that day on.
Clay and I ran around together quite a lot throughout grade school and into high school, but somewhat lost track of one another beyond that.  The last I saw of Clay was somewhere in the mid-1980s.  He stopped by my house in East Helena while on a visit from his work on fishing boats in Alaska.  Clay became a Facebook friend some years ago.  He now lives in Boso-Boso, in the Antipolo Province, just outside of Manila.
Yesterday, Desiree and I met Clay and his significant other, Renelle, at Venice Grand Canal Mall.  The mall is a mere ten minutes from our tower in Manila.  Clay and Renelle drove through two hours of insane, junkyard, honking, and flying-at-you-from-all-directions traffic to reach us.
After a lunch at Friday’s (the very same chain as that in the U.S.), Desiree and I rode out to Boso-Boso in the car with Clay and Renelle to see their “place in the jungle,” as Clay referred to it.
It took three hours to drive the twenty-some miles out into the jungle.  We dodged motorcycles, jeepney rigs (some with passengers actually clinging to the roof), pedestrians with a death wish, and one cagy traffic cop at a traffic circle to get there.
After visiting a bit, Clay drove us halfway back into Manila.  We caught a taxi for the second half of the return.  Our taxi driver was very aggressive in traffic—which added a whole new element to driving though Manila.
All in all, a great adventure.
Here are a few photographs from the day:

Venice Grand Canal Mall

The Four of Us at the Mall

The Province Countryside near Boso-Boso

Clay and a Local Dog that Adopted Him







—Mitchell Hegman

4 comments:

  1. What is the name of the area/city/province where Clay's place is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boso-Boso is the nearest place (in Antipolo Province).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see. My brother has a house in that area. In the old days people used to pilgrimate to Antipolo church and visit a nearby waterfall. The place, in the old days, was known for cashew nut trees. I have no clue what's happening in Manila these days. But I miss the food and the easy laughter of my fellow Filipinos. I don't miss the crawling traffic, congestion and pollution though. The beauty of the Philippines are outside Manila. Go to Mindanao or the Visayas where Mother Nature is at her best and where there are fantastic sugar fine wind sand beaches and where seafood are aplenty and reasonably priced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the area where Clay lives to be very beautiful. Mostly, however, I have been struck by the good-nature and beauty of the people here!

      Delete