Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, October 6, 2019

R B


I need to invent a last name.
For the purpose of telling this story, we will use O’Rourke.
Now the story.
Yesterday, while helping me burn a pile of slash from downed trees in the meadow at my cabin, my brother-in-law, Terry, told me about a story relayed to him by a gentleman he worked with.  When this gentleman enlisted in the service, he did so at the same time as a man named R B.  For the purpose of this story: R B O’Rourke.
While going though military paperwork with a clerk, R B was asked his name.
“R B O’Rourke,” he responded.
“I need your first and middle name.  Not initials,” the clerk said.
“All I know is R B,” said O’Rourke.  “That’s all I’ve ever been called.”
“This is important, son.  We need to identify you.”
A little frustrated, O’Rourke leaned in close and said stated with careful annunciation, “R, only.  B, only.”
The clerk filled out his name on the papers.
When issued his dog tags a bit later, the hero of our story was identified as Ronly Bonly O’Rourke.
—Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. I am delighted and yet horrified by this. It's like ordering a cake with specific instructions for decorating and realizing it was taken literally when you read "Congratulation Marie underneath that Good Luck!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thought, maybe his name was actually Arby?

    ReplyDelete