Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, October 19, 2019

Yearning


Light contracts and expands as clouds glove
then unglove the sun.
I see you there across the lake from me
wearing a white sleeveless dress.

When the sun is ungloved you glow like a pearl.

On your side, the lake reflects a city of glass.
My side reflects cottonwood trees,
scudding clouds, the narrow road that delivered me here.

A moment a go, I watched you break the water’s surface
with just a single finger.
The entire the city shivered when you touched it.
And I swear I felt you, too.
A ripple quivered through the earth under my feet
and tickled up through me.
—Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I had to read it several times to understand it and a couple more to find why it didn't work (for me at least). The last three lines shift the focus from the other side to you - not sure that works the way I want it to work, but then I don't have a suggestion either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for an honest assessment. A thoughtful one at that! I appreciate what you are saying. Maybe a stanza to provide a point of transition. Hmmmm. Must give this thought. Poems are difficult.

    ReplyDelete