Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, December 19, 2020

An Unusual Chunk of Ice (Montanans are Strange)

If you live in Montana for long, you’ll start doing strange things.   This strange behavior might be attributed to something in the water—much of which is frozen this time of year.

Tad St Clair did an odd thing yesterday.  He sawed a chunk of ice from the surface of the lake and drove it up to my house.  I answered my doorbell to find him standing there with the chunk of ice.  “This is for your Scotch,” he suggested.

Naturally, I said this: “I don’t think so, but I’ll set it out on my back deck and see how long it lasts.”

I happened to be on a video call with Desiree when I answered the door.  She has never seen snow, let alone a frozen lake.  I showed her the chunk of ice.  And then she and Tad exchanged salutations.

A few minutes after receiving the ice, I walked down to the lake to join Tad, his father, and his father-in-law at a campfire.  I shared a wee dram of Scotch with them and then I walked out on the lake just because I can.

Upon returning home a couple hours later, I sent a text to Desiree.   At one point in our conversation, she asked about the chunk of ice:

DESIREE: Did the ice melt?

ME: Heavens, no.  It will take days or weeks this time of year.

DESIREE: Oh.

ME: I will send you a pic!

DESIREE (After receiving the photo):  Thanky for the pic.  So handsome!

ME: You are right, honey.  It is very good-looking ice.



Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment