Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, December 15, 2020

A Comforting Habit

I wore a toolbelt for the better part of thirty years while working as an electrician.  After a few years of wearing “the tools,” I got more than accustomed to them.  Eventually, climbing into my belt was comforting, if not fulfilling.

With my tools secured to me, I was a warrior.   

Yesterday, in preparing to order the glass and structure kit for the sunroom I will be building in the spring, I grabbed a measuring tape for the purpose of measuring exact dimensions at the exterior corner of my house where I intend to construct the room.  A few minutes after I finished my measurements, I discovered the tape remained clipped to the pocket of my pants.

“Jeez,” I thought, “I don’t need that anymore.”

I almost reached down to unclip the tape.

Almost.

And then I thought, “No harm in leaving it there for a while.  I kind like it.”

So, I left the tape there for a while longer as I puttered around the house.  Not quite a warrior, but happy enough to pretend.



Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment