Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, March 7, 2022

Big Fire

For most of us, in particular the males of our species, the universe is not decaying at a rapid enough pace.  We do our best to accelerate the chaos and demolition.  And, I will admit, if fire is the chaos of choice, you can count me in.

Yesterday, my mountain neighbors, Patrick and Mary, burned two large stacks of deadfall they gathered last fall from the forest understory on their parcel.  Not wanting to miss an opportunity to poke at a big winter fire, I drove up to my cabin and later joined them beside the flames.

In matters of winter combustion, I am convinced bigger is better.  Thankfully, Patrick and Mary also adhere to this principle.  The first fire proved spectacular.  We are talking about ten-foot flames scissoring at the sky.  Intense heat squirmed out in all directions.

On the molecular level this kind of bonfire is something akin to a riot at the end of a soccer match between Venezuela and Brazil.  And it doesn’t matter which team won because, frankly, the other team was dismantled, and angry fans pour into a spectacular melee on the field to engage, while others flee over, under, and right through all obstacles in the way to escape.  On a human scale, well, is my shirt smoking and about to burst into flames?

I am pretty proud of my neighbors.  They know how to do a fire.


      

Big Fire



Falling Snow and Bristol (the Dog)



Patrick and a Hole in the Snow (After the Fire)



The Creek (Near the Fire)

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment