Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Final Purple

On the 5th of June, 2021, I created a light chamber inside one of my two trash bins.  Within the chamber I began bombarding three antique bottles with ultraviolet (UV) light.  The manganese dioxide used in the old glass slowly turns the clear glass purple when submitted to long-term UV radiation.

Some upcoming projects at my house will require the use of both of my trash bins.

Yesterday, I retrieved my bottles from the light chamber and reclaimed my bin.

I am posting results of the months-long process.  The bottles have definitely blushed to a deeper shade of violet.  The comparative photographs, fail to properly render color, but the deepening is obvious.



Bottles: June 5, 2021



Bottles: March 22, 2022

Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. I love this! Fantastic colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors are more vivid in natural daylight. I am really pleased with the outcome.

    ReplyDelete