Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, March 4, 2022

Finding Silver

I begin watching for the first bluebird of the season (my official marker of spring) as soon as the calendar flips to March.   I generally spot the first one somewhere near the 15th of the month.  Following mild winters, I have seen them return to my prairie surroundings as early as the first week of the month.  In 2008, I didn’t see my first bluebird until March 27.

On a trip to and from town yesterday, I scanned all around me as I drove along the ranchland roads, seeking to spot a bluebird.

No such luck.

But I did spot a red-winged blackbird clinging to a cattail near my mailbox.  Not my official harbinger of spring, but a fortuitous sight just the same.

I would say it’s an equivalent to finding silver when you are looking for gold.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment