Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, March 26, 2022

To the Bat House, Mitch!

Bats are not birds.  They are mammals.  They are, furthermore, the only mammal capable of true flight.

I will admit, bats range a little on the creepy side, but the fact they are the only flying mammal leads me to give them special consideration.

Several years ago, I was given a wooden bat house as a gift.  I fastened the bat house to the gable on the east side of my home.

Prior to providing a house for the bats, I regularly found bats clinging to the stucco on the exterior of my house on warm summer nights.  The bats quickly took to using the bat house and were happy as clams (which is a weird simile for this blog).

Yesterday, I arrived home following a rock-hunting excursion and found a northern flicker woodpecker hammering a hole in the bat house.  After shooing the bird, I gathered my tools, a scrap of leftover metal from my sunroom, and I fashioned a quick repair.

Last year, a magpie murdered the female bluebird nesting in the bluebird house in my front yard.  Now this!

Birds are mean.

Save the mammals!

And what, exactly, makes clams happy?



Bat House Damage



My Repair

—Mitchell Hegman


No comments:

Post a Comment