Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Uyen’s Choice (Splash)

Uyen and I adopted two cats from the Humane Society in 2006.  Before adopting the cats, we discussed our strategy for finding the right cat.  Uyen put it this way: “The cats need to pick us.”

At the time, a dozen or so cats were living in the Humane Society’s “cat room.”  After Uyen and I entered the room, she sat in a chair and I sat on a bench near a couple napping cats.

All around us, cats for adoption were either napping, playing with toys, or exploring the various features in the space.

After less than a minute, a petite gray and black cat padded over and rubbed her face against me.  As soon as I gave her a pat, she climbed onto my lap and curled up, purring like crazy.  She remained there as I fluffed at her coat.

Uyen, had been using a walking cane for ten years by 2006.  As she sat there, she held the cane alongside her.  At almost the same time the little gray cat befriended me, a big ragdoll cat with splashes of color approached Uyen and started playing with her cane.

From here, the math is pretty easy.  Uyen fell for the big ragdoll.  I wanted to give the petite gray cat a home.

A day later, we took the two cats home.  Uyen named the little girl “Roxie.”   I named the big boy “Splash.”

Today, Uyen is gone, the cane is gone, Roxie is gone, and Splash is gone.

I am posting a photograph Uyen captured of me with the two cats at our cabin.



Me, Splash and Roxie (2008)

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment