Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Another Throw Rug Bites the Dust

I vividly recall the first time I purchased a throw rug.  I was a twenty-something bachelor at the time, and I felt something near horror that I needed to spend my hard-earned money on a rug.

Thanks to a vacuuming “incident,” I find myself back in the market for a rug. While man-cleaning the master bathroom (that’s cleaning in a big hurry), I pretty much ripped the guts out of the rug in front of my shower.

The agitator on my vacuum is the mechanical first cousin to a tornado.  Somewhere in a pass over the rug, a strand from the weave caught up in the agitator.  The machine almost instantly twisted a dozen or so feet of the strand up inside itself. 

The rug clenched up like a fist and the vacuum screamed to a stop.

End of rug.

I am still not crazy about buying rugs, but I have been adulting long enough to appreciate the necessity.  

I have posted a photograph of part of what I removed from my vacuum after the incident.



Rug Entrails

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment