Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

The Weatherman

I like the weatherman I am watching on TV.  Something in his plain delivery and his slumped stature gives him a kind “regular-guy” edge.  He could burp in a crowd of executives and billionaires gathered to discuss completely revamping the tax codes, and none of them would be shocked.

I see myself out golfing with him.  On the third hole he duffs a shot into the water hazard.  Enraged by the bad shot, he wraps his club around the base of the nearest spruce tree with a full-on baseball swing.

“Nice shot,” I tell him.

“Bite me,” he retorts.  He flips the bent club out into the rough.  Next, he waddles over to the cart, retrieves a new ball and a five iron, and starts toward the edge of the water so he can drop the penalty shot.  “If this pattern holds,” he says, pointing behind him, “we can expect quite a bit of moisture in the South.”

I like him, but maybe weathermen don’t make good golf partners.

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment