Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, April 26, 2022

A 30-Million-Year-Old Kevin

I have written about rocks extensively.  I have also shared stories about my neighbor, Kevin.  Recently, I mentioned using a Kevin to hold a section of trim in place.  The term “Kevin,” in this application, is derived from the fact Kevin’s father often enlisted Kevin to hold something firm while he measured or fastened it in place.

Now, let’s merge all of this together.

Yesterday, I used a 30-million-year-old Kevin to hold in place a small piece of metal while gluing it down onto a section of trim in my sunroom.

The Kevin, in this case, was a chunk of petrified wood.  I am guessing at the exact age of the rock.  Petrified wood, depending on where it is found, ranges from 20 million to over 200 million years in age.  30 million seems a fair estimate for my rock.

Putting one of my rocks to work is surprisingly satisfying.



A Kevin at Work

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment