Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, April 14, 2022

Sunroom Door

Thanks to help from a carpenter friend, I installed the door into my sunroom.  So ends a thirty-one-year-long process.

I originally framed the door opening in June of 1991.  I could not afford the sunroom at the time of my home’s construction and finished over the opening, leaving a kind of “ghost door” opening inside the wall.

Last year, on June 20 (almost exactly thirty years to the day of framing it), I peeled open the wall and daylighted the opening.

And now a door finally fills the ghost space.

The door I chose is mostly glass, so I can bring in light from the sunroom when I want.  But for those times when I don’t want the light, the door also features blinds built into glazing.



Sunroom Door Framing (June, 1991)



Sunroom Opening (June 20, 2021)



Sunroom Door with Blinds Up



Sunroom Door with Blinds Down

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment