Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, April 3, 2022

Soft Hail

Desiree, along with never having seen snow in person, has never experienced a hail storm.  Yesterday, just when she called to video chat with me, a storm of “soft hail” swept across the lake and fell across my house.

Some people call this sort of snow graupel, snow pellets, or corn snow.  By whatever name you prefer, the collective sound of the pellets striking the exterior of my house translated into a hiss on the inside.

“I need to take you outside so you can see this,” I told Desiree.  “Little snowballs are falling from the sky.”   I scampered out onto the back deck while holding the phone before me so Desiree could witness what I saw.

“Is that hail?” she asked.

“Kinda.  A soft version of it.”

“Cool!”

No matter what you call the soft hail, it’s unusual, and I enjoyed watching the little balls popcorn against the hot tub cover and deck.

The storm dazzled Desiree.



The Storm’s Arrival



Desiree Watching Storm



Pellets Collected on My Hot Tub

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment