Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, April 9, 2022

My Working Rock

The Helena Mineral Society is holding its annual Gem, Mineral, and Fossil Show this weekend at the Civic Center.  I will definitely stop in and poke around a little.

I attended my first rock show at the Civic Center just shy of sixty years ago.  When I was seven or eight, my uncle Stack took me to the show.

The show dazzled me.  I saw heaps of polished stones, cut agates and geodes, gold, fossilized fish, crystals, precious gems, and more.

My uncle bought me a collection of various minerals at that first show.  In the years since, I have attended at least twenty of the rock shows. 

Today, if you came to visit me, you would discover rocks on display throughout my house.  I have two large display cases filled with specimens in my den.  I have rocks in my kitchen, living room, bedrooms, and master bath.  And you will find one disk-shaped rock on the ledge of my utility room sink.  I call that specimen my “working rock.”

I use the working rock whenever I grill salmon.  I like to grill my salmon on a cedar plank.  Before doing so, I use the rock to hold the plank under the water while I soak it the sink for an hour or two before grilling.


    

The Working Rock

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment