Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, June 4, 2023

Houseplant Training

I’m undertaking an unusual project. Using magnets, I’m teaching a houseplant to walk across the ceiling in my sunroom.

Before you walk away thinking I’m daffy, allow me to explain.

For starters, the plant is a hoya, a type of vine that will reach out and grab onto pretty much anything it can climb. When I moved my hoya into the sunroom, I fashioned something of a trellis so the plant could scramble up the wall. Before long, several runners reached out to find a purchase on the metal ceiling.

I thought to myself, 'What if I provided a path so the plant could extend across the ceiling?' That’s when I got the idea to use hooks with magnetic bases to direct the hoya where I want it to go.

I think the photographs I’m sharing should help illustrate what I’m doing.



My Hoya Plant









Magnetic Hook and Hoya Runners

Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Hoyas are amazing, long lived plants. Love, velvety umbrella of flowers. Check put Staggering Ox...that is a Hoya in the window!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My plant is a start from a hoya my grandmother grew in the 1940s. I need to check out the Ox!

      Delete