Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, June 12, 2023

My Loud Neighbor

Every time I step out my back door, my neighbor yells at me. Actually, the boisterous offender is more of a squatter than a neighbor.

Who is this offender, you may ask? Well, let me introduce you to the one and only American robin, a feathered diva with a voice that could shatter glass. Yes, a bird. A very loud, incessant bird that perches atop one of the loftiest pines, singing warnings at me.

The bird, a male, has been singing almost non-stop for many days on end. Robins are highly territorial birds, especially during the breeding season. Male robins sing to establish and defend territory from other males. By singing loudly and consistently, it is signaling its presence and warning other robins to stay away.

I guess the bird considers me another male robin. I suppose that's fine. My big beef is that I am the one paying property taxes around here. You would think we could, at a minimum, share the place in peace.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment