Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, June 15, 2023

Natives

 Given that my house was constructed in a semi-arid corner of the valley, on what is more of a pile of rocks than a patch of soil, prickly pear cactus is not a bad choice for my “yard.”

Incorporating native prickly pear cactus into my water-efficient yard offers multiple benefits. These plants thrive in dry climates, minimizing water usage and maintenance. Best of all, in June, the cacti put forth vibrant flowers, which add visual appeal and attract pollinators like bees and butterflies.

Not everyone is keen on a yard like mine, but I appreciate the fact that I can walk away without watering everything and know that my native plants will be alive and well when I return. I am sharing a photograph of a cactus in bloom and a patch of scarlet globemallow, another native plant I have allowed to populate near my house.



A Prickly Pear at the Front of my House



Scarlet Globemallow

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment