Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, June 20, 2023

She is Good (Morning Report from the Cabin)

Stars slowly evaporate against the steel-blue of a new day. From their nests in the dusky fir and pine, yesterday's birds on the wing are this morning's most certain song. The sound of the creek remains deeper and more enduring. I find a motherly comfort in the endless sound of water murmuring along the length of creek at my door.

The simple dinner Desiree and I shared at the campfire in the soft glow of last evening's final mountain light proved better than the most expensive meal I have ever committed to my credit card. Nothing beats campfire food. And the hours I spend deep in the mountains repair all that is torn within me.

The other day, a little girl, out of nowhere, stared up at Desiree's face and pronounced, “You look good!” She repeated, “You look so good.” This morning, sitting here sipping at my too-strong coffee, I am waiting for Desiree to stir.

She is good.

Desiree at the Campfire

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment