Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, June 16, 2023

Return of the Lady Slippers

My lady slippers are back. At one time, I had two patches of lady slipper orchids within sight of my cabin. While one patch typically displayed (and still does) only modest offerings of one or two clusters of flowers, the other often presented a half-dozen or more dense clusters of orchids.

Sadly, the best collection of orchids vanished in 2009 after a severe pine beetle infestation killed many of the nearby trees and forced me to remove them. Something in the delicate balance of growth conditions had changed. Lady slipper orchids in Montana can be found primarily in forested areas and moist, shady habitats. These gentle beauties have developed a remarkable adaptation to survive in these conditions. One of the most intriguing details is their symbiotic relationship with specific soil fungi, known as mycorrhizal associations. These fungi form intricate connections with the orchid's roots, facilitating the absorption of nutrients necessary for their growth. This dependency on fungi makes lady slipper orchids particularly sensitive to changes in their environment. I suspect the loss of the trees impacted this fungal relationship.

Yesterday, while on a walkabout near my cabin, I found an impressive presentation of lady slippers in the spot where they thrived before 2009. A profoundly important return, this.

My Lady Slippers

Close Lady

My Cabin in the Woods

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment