Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, May 16, 2016

An After-Rain Morning


If there exists a more vital scent than that of prairie sagebrush in the after-rain, I don’t know it.  The scent is pervasive and sharp in the same way the call of a western meadowlark is pervasive and sharp.  Sage from end to end.  Standing just outside my house, I draw in sage-scented air, exhale.
The front door is half-open behind me.
We have needed rain.  Here in the rain shadow, we almost always need rain.
As I stand outside, drawing in fresh air, 20 pounds of housecat pads out the half open door to join me.  The cat rubs his cheek and flank against my leg.
Love.
He looks up.  I look down.
“Good morning,” I say.  “We have another week ahead of us.  I hope you are ready.”

--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Is there a bottled sage brush scent in the same way there is a bottled chocolate scent that you can spray on your wrist? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete